To make something weaker
- A conservative Senator might try to water down a law a liberal Senator is trying to pass.
- The Republicans (conservative party) usually try to water down gun control laws in the USA.
- When a bartender adds more water, soda, or coke to a drink to reduce the amount of alcohol used that is called "Watering down the drinks".
TO WATER DOWN - EXAMPLES
- The AI guy has strict rules when working on a project, but once he knows you are competent, the rules get watered down.
- The company watered down its laid off policy, which when first introduced, scared the hell out of many of the employees.
I don't go to Tommy's Bar anymore. They are watering down the drinks. That's weird for Las Vegas.